Excretion is the removal of waste from the body.
Plants also produce waste products but very slowly and in very small amounts.They do not have any special organ for the removal of their waste product.
How do Leaves of Plants help in Excretion ?
Role Leaves in excretion of Plants is as follows-
- The waste products of a plant are carbon dioxide, water vapor and oxygen. While carbon dioxide and water vapor are waste products of respiration, oxygen is a waste productof photosynthesis. These waste products are removed through stomata in leaves.
- Leaffall– When chlorophyll breaks down, other compounds in leaves give the characteristic autumn colors seen just before leaf fall.
- When chlorophyll breaks down, other compounds in leaves give the characteristic autumn colors seen just before leaf fall.
- Deciduous plants like tobacco, tea, almond, get rid of excretory waste, stored within leaves, through leaf fall.
- Many plants store waste materials in the vacuoles of mesophyll cells and epidermal cells. When old leaves fall, the waste materials are excreted along with the leaves.