Question 1. What is a globe?
Answer 1. Globe is a simple and accurate model of the earth which shows distribution of land and water on the surface of the earth. We can also see the correct shape, size and location of the continent and ocean on a globe.
Why can’t we always use a globe to study the earth?
- We cannot always use a globe to study the Earth due to following reason
- A large globe is difficult to carry around.
- A Globe is small and all the detail of a place cannot be shown on it.
- We cannot make a globe for a part of the Earth.
- Only one half of the earth can be seen at a time on a globe.
Question 2. What is a map?
Answer 2. A map is a representation of the Earth surface or a part of it on a flat surface.
What is Atlas?
The book of maps is called an atlas.
Why do we use maps instead of the globe?
We use maps instead of globe for the following reason
- We can draw maps on a flat surface to show continents, countries, cities and even a neighbourhood.
- Maps are easy to carry as compared to the globe.
- On maps we can show small details of a place which is not possible on the globe. For example we can draw a map of our school and show all the details on it.
Question 3. How is a globe useful to us?
Answer 3. Globe is useful to us for the following reasons
- It shows the distribution of land and water on the surface of the earth.
- We can also see the correct shape, size and location of the continent and ocean on the globe.
- Earth is spherical in shape and its surface is curved.It is not possible to make an accurate map of a curved surface. That’s the reason why we need the globe.
How do maps help us? Why is the map less accurate than a globe?
Maps help us for following reason
- We can draw maps on a flat surface to show continents, country cities and even neighbourhoods.
- Map and easy to carry.
- Small areas can be represented fairly accurately on maps. For example we can draw a map of our society and show all the details on it.
Map is less accurate than a globe because Earth is spherical and the curved surface cannot be shown correctly on a flat surface.