In 1838 German biologist Mathias Schleiden and Theodor Schwann put forward the cell theory of life
- Cell is a mass of Protoplasm containing a nucleus .
- Cell is bounded by a cell membrane and in many cases by a cell wallas well .
- All living things are made up of one or more cells.
- Cells are basic structural units of Living Organism; They are complex living structure.
- All cells are similar in their basic structure but are not identical. They differ in size, function and structure.
- New cells are formed due to division of old cells.
- The organisation of cells in the body of living organisms determines its structure.
- The way in which an organism performs function depends on the way the cell works.