Skip to content
What is the role of epidermis in plants?
Role of epidermis in plants is as follows
- Epidermis is a protective tissue of plants, it helps in protection of internal parts of plants.
- Epidermis forms the outer covering of the entire plant surface.
- Epidermis tissue becomes thick and prevents water loss in plants living in very dry habitats.
- Epidermis tissue cells secretes a waxy, water resistant layer on the outer surface, which protects against loss of water, mechanical injury ,invasion of Parasitic fungi and infections.
- Epidermis tissue cells of leaf have stomata to help in gas exchange and transpiration.
- Epidermis tissue cells in the roots help in the absorption of water.
- In old plants, the epidermal layer becomes thick and forms cork. Cork cells contain a chemical called suberin in their walls, which makes them impervious to gases and water.