- Cell wall is found in plant and fungal cells. It permits the cells of plants, fungi and bacteria to withstand hypotonic condition without bursting .
- In hypotonic media, the cells tend to take up water by osmosis. The cell swells up, building up pressure against the cell wall. The wall exerts an equal pressure against the swollen cell.
- Cell walls help the plant cell to tolerate greater changes in the surrounding medium.
- Cell wall is absent in animal cells.
- Cell wall has narrow pores called pits. Through them fine strands of cytoplasm called plasmodesmata are able to cross the cell walls.
- Plant cells interact with each other through their cytoplasmic channels.
Cell wall diagram